By Geri Lynn Beld
The Summer is coming to an end, which means Back-To-School season is upon us. While managing stress is a year round challenge, this time of year can be particularly demanding . If you are thinking of getting a massage to de-stress, you may be pleasantly surprised with the additional benefits it offers.
Many parents consider massage a luxury, or a guilty pleasure. Perhaps a visit to a ritzy spa fits this theory. But the truth is, massage is proven to help decrease stress and increase and your well-being, no guilt required. One hour of massage can leave you feeling relaxed, rejuvenated, and ready to deal with the stress of the season.
Massage benefits go beyond relaxation. Increased circulation assists with detoxifying harmful substances from the body. Endorphin release helps stress related insomnia. You can find relief from headaches/migraines, neck and shoulder pain, and Temporomandibular Joint pain (TMJ). Even anxiety and fibromyalgia symptoms can be eased with a soothing massage.
Consider these add-ons during your massage session:
- Hot Stones to allow for heat to quickly relax muscles
- Combination Swedish and Deep Tissue to address those pesky knots
- Cupping to release connective tissue, increase circulation, and boost detoxification
- Aromatherapy to ease anxiety and impart balance to the nervous system
Helpful Hints on planning for your massage:
- Consult your doctor first if you have any medical or medication concerns
- Speak to your therapist about your needs and expectations
- Stay extra hydrated to help the body flush lactic acid build up and other toxins
- Plan on keeping a simple schedule after your session. Keep those muscles loose and relaxed as much as possible to maintain the post-massage benefits.
- Find a certified massage therapist at The California Massage Therapy Council (www.CAMTC.org).
Massage is proven to lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, and increase our capacity to deal with stress. Luxury? More like necessity!
Geri Lynn Beld is a certified Massage Therapist in the Corona area.