Most Effective Ways to Improve your Health in 2019
By Lisa Drew, Certified Nutritionist and Studio Manager Orangetheory Fitness Corona
Here we are, it’s a New Year! According to Inc.com, only 9.2% of people will achieve their New Year’s resolutions. As a Certified Nutritionist and manager of a HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) Studio, I’m passionate about all things HEALTH and COMMITMENT. I’ve found 5 simple, yet effective tools to make this your healthiest year yet. Are you ready? Here we go!
- Stop Dieting. Instead, focus on eating healthy, good-for-you foods at least 90% of the time (fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds, lean protein, wild caught fish and lentils). Keeping a food journal helps.
- Commit to exercising a minimum of 3 days a week, for at least 30 minutes a day. Make it fun by trying different workouts! Pilates not your thing? No worries- try Yoga or a Spin class. Bored of running? Try a local HIIT class or gym. Tired of going to the gym? Take a walk with a friend. There are no rules to this other than MOVE YOUR BODY and have fun doing it.
- Drink more water! Add some lemon, cucumber, mint, or add berries to make your own vitamin water. Good rule of thumb: you should drink about half your body weight in ounces. For example, If you weigh 150 pounds, shoot for 75 ounces a day.
- Get rid of your scale and pay more attention to how your clothes fit and how you FEEL.
- Lighten up! Celebrate successes and be compassionate with yourself when you slip. This should never feel “all or nothing”. Transformation does not happen overnight and research shows that it takes 21 days to create a new habit. So, whenever you’re ready, start with day one.
As much as you want to chalk up goals and resolutions to willpower, it has more to do with the right skills and strategies. Keep these 5 tips in mind and you’ll likely join the 9.2% in celebrating later in the year. You got this! Remember to make it fun…